Celebration of Science 2023 announcement
The Science Council Celebration of Science took place at Thinktank, Birmingham science museum on Wednesday 15th November 2023. This event celebrated the achievements of CPD Award winners, recognised volunteer contributions and applauded apprentices and their journey.
We were delighted to welcome Dr Becky Smethurst as the keynote speaker. Dr Smethurst is an astrophysicist, author, science communicator and Royal Astronomical Society Research Fellow at the University of Oxford. She has been awarded numerous prizes for her research and science communication efforts in recent years. In her keynote, Dr Smethurst offered a unique perspective on combining being a science communicator with being an active researcher.
The event was followed by a networking reception and provided the opportunity to connect with fellow registrants from across the science disciplines, as well as individuals from the professional body community, industry, academia and government.
This Year’s CPD Award Winners:
Celebrating outstanding professional development in science
- Abigail Mortimer RSciTech – Institute of Science and Technology
- Bryony Turford CSciTeach – Association for Science Education
- Gemma Norburn RSciTech – Association of Anatomical Pathology Technology
- Dr James Fox CSci – Institute of Science and Technology
- Jemma Lonsdale CSci – Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology
- Dr Joanne Fallowfield CSci – Institute of Biomedical Science
- Katy Fleckney CSci – Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine
- Kim Picozzi CSciTeach – Royal Society of Biology
- Mark Gardiner CSci – Royal Society of Biology
- Martyn Lowe RSci – Royal Society of Biology
- Melanie Tankerville CSci – Institute of Water
- Dr Philip Graham-Smith CSci – British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Rae Freestone RSci – Institute of Science and Technology
- Sarah Worth RSciTech – Royal Society of Biology
- Dr Shahpur Patel CSci – Institution of Chemical Engineers
- Sian Elizabeth Hodgkins CSci – Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management
- Suzanne Mahon RSci – Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine
- Tahmina Hussain CSci – Institute of Biomedical Science
Celebrating outstanding contribution to science
- Bernard Gudgin CSci
- Dr Hilary Jeffreys CSci
- Dr James Fox CSci
- Kevin Bown CSci
- Laura Grout CSci
- Laurence Dawkins-Hall CSci
- Nicole Phillips RSci
- Pat Kingston RSci
- Pete Barratt CSci
- Priya Maharaj CSci
- Sheri Scott CSci
- Stephen Franey MBE CSci
- Late Valerie Gordon RSci
Celebrating the apprentice and registrant journey
- Darrell Cobon RSci
- Olivia Waugh RSciTech
- Rodzers Zalitis RSciTech
- Sophie Galloway RSci
A huge congratulations to the 2023 CPD Award winners and for their continued professional development. We also extend our biggest thanks to the volunteers and recognise their outstanding contributions to science. Lastly, we would like to celebrate the apprentices and wish them the best on their journey.
Keep an eye out on social media and our website as we will be highlighting the stories of the winners and their top tips in the coming weeks.
The annual CPD Awards celebrate the continuing professional development (CPD) carried out by registrants from across the Science Council registers:
- Chartered Scientist (CSci)
- Chartered Science Teacher (CSciTeach).
- Registered Scientist (RSci)
- Registered Science Technician (RSciTech)
Inspired by our CPD Award winners? Begin your application for professional registration here.
The Science Council would like to thank all of our speakers and member organisations for their support in hosting this event.
We would also like to extend a warm thank you to Thinktank Birmingham Science Museum, for their generosity in enabling guests to visit the museum free of charge and for providing the wonderful venue.