Apply for membership
Interested in membership with us? Find out the benefits of becoming a member, and find out more about eligibility below:
To apply for membership your organisation must:
- Be an independent professional body which exists for the collective pursuit of professional aims and objectives with practicing scientists in your membership.
- Have at least one membership category which is based on standards of competence (i.e. appropriate qualification and / or relevant professional practice)
- Become a signatory to the Science Council Declaration on Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
- Have a code of conduct for your members
If your organisation can meet these requirements then it is eligible to be considered for membership. Please do email if you would like to explore this with us and apply for membership.
Follow our simple steps to make your application.
- Download the application checklist
- Consider how well your organisation meets the requirements for membership. Return copies of the checklist marked up to show whether you can meet the requirements along with related required documentation
- We will be in touch with you to meet and discuss your application.
- Once your application is complete the Science Council Board will then discuss your application at the next Board meeting (applications will need to be submitted at least 4 weeks before the meeting).
- If approved by the Board, the Board will recommend membership for your organisation at the next meeting of the full Council or sometimes by email between Council meetings.
- Once agreed by the Council of Members you are officially welcomed to the Council.
Email us if you have any questions or would like to discuss anything. We are keen to help you meet the requirements for membership.
The Science Council annual membership fee is calculated based on the number of paying members in your membership. From this figure students, overseas members who are not registrants and retired members are excluded to reach a final figure, which is multiplied by £0.83 to calculate the annual fee.
Members with 30,000 or more individual paying members will pay £24,450 per annum; Members with fewer than 943 individual paying members will pay £756 per annum.
These figures will increase for 2023 in line with inflation.
Once your membership application is received, it is reviewed by the Science Council Board. If recommended by the Board for membership it is sent to the full Council for approval. This process normally takes about 3 to 4 months.
New members are welcomed into membership, usually at a Council meeting. You and your team will be offered an induction meeting with our CEO or other relevant members of staff.
We will start to promote your organisation on our website and newsletter and via social media. You will be invited to join the various groups and forums and be given the dates of forthcoming meetings and events. Your staff will be given the opportunity to receive our newsletter and you are given access to the membership area on the website.
To remain a Science Council member, each year we ask you to;
- Provide information about your membership numbers.
- Pay the annual membership fee
Please do email us if you have any questions or would like to discuss anything.