How to apply for professional registration

Our online application system is now open for applications

We have improved our online application system, the Common Application Process (CAP), as part of a large project and have transitioned to a new system. The new CAP system is now open for applications.

If you have any questions regarding this please contact our Senior Registration Officer, Hayley McNeil –

You can apply for professional registration as a CSci, RSci or RSciTech through the Science Council’s online system. This supports you to complete both your registration and your membership application.

There is also the option of applying through the Licensed Professional Body you wish to join.

If you are already a member of a Licensed Professional Body then you can use the Science Council’s online system or apply for professional registration through your Professional Body.

Please note that not all Professional Bodies are licensed to award all registers held by the Science Council. Applicants should check prior to your application that the Professional Body you would like to apply for is licensed for your chosen professional registration award.

If you are a science teacher or lecturer, you may want to apply for professional registration as a CSciTeach. To apply you will need to be a member of a relevant Licensed Professional Body and apply to them.

Please do get in touch if you would like to talk this through.

How do I start?

To complete your application you will need:

  • An up to date CV
  • Details of your qualifications including certificates

When you are ready, create an account on the online application system. You can log in again at any time to continue with your application. The work you have done will be saved when you log out and be there for you next time you log in.

You can choose a Licensed Professional Body and start your membership application with them. If you are already a member of a professional body, sign up to the Science Council's online application system or apply via your Licensed Professional Body.

To apply for CSciTeach you will need to choose a Licensed Professional Body that offers CSciTeach and apply via them.

Ready to apply? Sign up here.

What will I be asked?

There are several stages to filling in your application:

  • Select which awardyou are applying for.
  • Initial questions – these are just a few questions about you and your motivation for applying.
  • Professional Body membership – either provide your membership ID (if you are already a member of a Professional Body licensed to award the registration you’re applying for), or select which Licensed Professional Bodyyou would like to join.
  • Tell us about yourself – submit your personal details, your employer, your qualifications and CV.
  • Tell us about your supporter - you will be asked to provide their name, job title, employer and work email address.
  • Let us know how you will be paying
  • Select your assessment route (online or face to face)
  • Complete your competence report
  • Declaration - sign up to the CPD standardsand registrant code of conduct

Once this has been completed you can submit your finished application.

Watch this guide to using the online application system.

Ready to apply? Sign up here.

What standards must I meet?

To be awarded registration you must:

To remain on the register you must demonstrate you are maintaining or advancing your skills and knowledge through continuing professional development (CPD) and you must continue to pay your fee.

Ready to apply? Sign up here.

What are the academic and work experience requirements?

The academic and work experience requirements for professional registration depend on the register which you are applying for.

Read our guidance on academic and work experience requirements here (PDF).

Where can I get help and support?

We provide workshops to Employers to help you complete your application for professional registration.

Visit our support page to find out more.

You can also get in touch with the Science Council directly at or 020 3434 2020. We will always be happy to help.

Ready to apply? Sign up here.

How long does an application take?

You are in control of how long you take to complete each section. The online system will save what you have submitted. Most people fill in their application over several sessions, a piece at a time. The most challenging part is completing your competence report. Read our top tips for completing your assessment report.

The average time it takes for someone to complete their application is 2 months. The fastest anyone has completed their application is 29 days.

After submitting your completed application, the Science Council will complete some initial checks of your application, and will then contact your supporter, requesting them to complete the supporter review.

Once we have your completed application and the supporter review, if you have opted for an online assessment two assessors will be assigned to review your application. It can take from 3 to 12 weeks for the assessors to be assigned and complete the review of your application.  

If you have chosen a face to face assessment, we will agree a date with you. Your application and supporting statement must be with us two weeks before this date. If not then you may not be eligible to be assessed on your agreed date.

Once we receive the two assessors’ reviews, you will be advised of their recommendation.

Ready to apply? Sign up here.

How much does professional registration cost?

Costs when using the Science Council’s online system:

When you first apply, there is a £15 application fee payable at the beginning of the process to cover the costs of the support we provide to you. In addition to this, there is also your registration fee (which differs between registers) and your assessment fee.

The online assessment cost is covered by the application fee. If you prefer to be assessed face to face, or if this is a requirement of your employer or Professional Body, there is a £50 fee for two assessors to spend a minimum of an hour with you.

Lastly, if you are not currently a member of one of our Licensed Bodies, you will also need to pay a membership fee. This cost will vary between registers and Licensed Bodies, so please check with your chosen Licensed Body.

Each year after this, you will need to pay your registration fee and membership fee. Click on the image below to see the costing breakdown:

Many employers are willing to cover the costs of these fees. Check what your employer's policy is. In most cases you can claim tax relief on fees for CSci and Professional Body membership fees.

Please visit the webpage or contact the relevant Licensed Professional Body to check their charges.

Ready to apply? Sign up here.

How is my application assessed?

Your application will be assessed by Science Council trained assessors through an online assessment or a face to face assessment. You will have the option to choose which type of assessment you want.

What is the difference between an online and a face to face assessment?

An online assessment requires you to provide enough evidence in your competence report for the assessors to decide whether you meet the registration award standards.

If they feel they need more information to make their decision, they may request this from you after your full application has been submitted.

A face to face assessment also requires you to provide a competence report, however this is used to guide the Science Council in assigning assessors with the relevant skills and experience, and to help the assessors prepare for the face to face interview. It therefore does not need to be as comprehensive as for an online assessment.

The evidence you provide in the interview will be what the assessors use to make their decision.

Which assessment option is better: online or face to face?

That really depends on what you would prefer. An online application can take longer because you need to provide enough written evidence alone for assessment. However, face to face assessments may take a few weeks or months to set up once you have submitted your completed application.

Both assessment routes can provide a good opportunity to develop your communication skills, written and oral.

Ready to apply? Sign up here.

Below is some further information about the role of your supporter.

Who should my supporter be?

Your application needs to be supported by a someone who can attest to the information you have provided - the sort of person you would ask for a professional reference should you need one. They should be familiar with your work.

This will most likely be your line manager, however a senior colleague or client who knows the quality of your work may also be appropriate.

Your supporter should have enough scientific knowledge and expertise to be justified in supporting your application. If possible your supporter should be a member of a relevant professional body and hold either Registered or Chartered status with the Science Council, this may help you as they will understand what professional standards are required.

Whoever you choose, you must get their permission before providing us with their contact details. If other people in your team are also applying for professional registration, your supporter may be supporting their applications as well. This is fine, but you may need to be sensitive to how busy they are.

Information for your supporter

Please pass the link to the supporters page on to your supporter once you have agreed with them that they will support your application for registration.

Your supporter will be asked to log in to the application system to make their comments on your application.  We will let you know when they have competed their input.  Supporters are busy people and may need reminding to complete their part. 

If they have any questions or concerns not answered on the page please ask them to call our helpline on 020 3434 2020 or email us.