Apply for Professional Registration as an apprentice
The Science Council and its’ member organisations have created a shortened application route to becoming professionally registered for apprentices, depending on the apprenticeship which has been undertaken.
Shortened Applications for Professional Registration
In 2020, the Science Council and its’ members began a process for assessing how apprenticeships map to the professional registers of Registered Scientist (RSci) and Registered Science Technician (RSciTech).
One of the key motivations for mapping apprenticeships is for creating shortened application routes for those apprenticeships that have been judged as well aligned, recognising the strong foundation of learning and extensive professional experience secured as a direct result of the mandated aspects of the apprenticeship.
The assessment identifies whether an apprenticeship maps to 3 levels:
- Full alignment
- Majority alignment
- Low level alignment*
*Note – for apprenticeships assessed as low-level alignment there is the requirement to complete a full application.
Apprentices can apply via this route with the following professional bodies:
Royal Society of Chemistry, Royal Society of Biology, Operational Research Society, Institute of Science and Technology, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, Institute of Food Science and Technology, Institute of Biomedical Science, Association of Anatomical Pathologist Technologists, Association for Simulation Practice in Healthcare and Institute of Water (direct only).
Applying for Professional Registration
If the apprenticeship has been assessed as fully or majority aligned, it will be listed below, and individuals who have achieved and received one of these apprenticeship certificates are eligible to apply through the shortened application routes:
Apprenticeship, Code and Version
- Healthcare Science Practitioner Level 6* ST0413 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSci – Enrolments from 31/03/17 to present
- Laboratory Scientist Level 6 ST0626 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSci – Enrolments from 03/01/18 to present
- Food Industry Technical Professional Level 6 ST0197 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSci – Enrolments from 27/06/2017 to present
- Nuclear Scientist & Nuclear Engineer Level 6 ST0289 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSci – Enrolments from 03/09/15
- Laboratory Scientist Level 5 ST0247 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSci – Enrolments from 03/09/15 to 17/04/19
- Technician Scientist Level 5 ST0597 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSci – Enrolments from 07/08/18 to present
- Nuclear Technician Level 5 ST0380 Version 1.0 – Majority Aligned to RSci – Enrolments from 24/03/17 to present
- Senior Metrology Technician Level 5 ST0283 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSci – Enrolments from 07/08/18 to present
- Healthcare Science Associate Level 4 ST0220 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSciTech – Enrolments from 31/10/16 to present
- Laboratory Technician Level 3 ST0248 Version 1.1 & 1.2 – Majority aligned to RSciTech – Enrolments from 05/08/20 to present
- Laboratory Technician Level 3 ST0248 Version 1.0 – Fully Aligned to RSciTech – Enrolments from 09/12/14 to 05/05/20
- Science Manufacturing Technician Level 3 ST0250 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSciTech – Enrolments from 09/12/14 to present
- Food Technologist Level 3 ST0198 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSciTech – Enrolments from 25/08/16 to present
- Metrology Technician Level 3 ST0282 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSciTech – Enrolments from 17/08/17 to present
- Water Industry Treatment Process Technician Level 3 ST1291 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSciTech – Awaiting first available enrolment date – funding band still to be agreed)
- Water Industry Network Technician Level 3 ST1292 Version 1.0 – Fully aligned to RSciTech – Awaiting first available enrolment date (funding band still to be agreed)
*Completion of the IBMS Registration Training Portfolio and award of the IBMS Certificate of Competence is required for those wishing to apply for HCPC registration as a Biomedical Scientist.
Advice for prospective applicants
You can start your application please use the link here. When visiting the main application page you will need to select one of the following programmes:
- 2021 RSciTech Apprenticeships (likely if your apprenticeship was Level 3 or 4)
- 2021 RSci Apprenticeships (likely if your apprenticeship was Level 5 or 6)
Once you have selected the programme, the system will take you through a series of tasks. Initially the system will identify the apprenticeship you have completed, to ensure it is eligible for the shortened application route. Additionally, those apprenticeships assessed as fully aligned have a further reduction in tasks to complete.
For more information on our Apprenticeship activity please email the Apprenticeship Lead Tom Cheek on firstname.lastname@example.org
For support with your application please email the Registration and Licensing team on email@example.com