Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
The Science Council has set itself a strategic ambition to work towards a science workforce that reflects the diversity of society, with a programme of work that engages members and other science professional bodies to share this vision.
“Getting diversity and equality right is a source of competitive advantage. More people want to join your workforce, there is greater creativity and much better connection with customers and stakeholders.”
James Smith, Chair of the Diversity, Equality and Inclusion Strategy Group
Diversity and Inclusion Progression Framework 2017 Benchmarking Report: Scientific Bodies
The Science Council has set itself a strategic ambition to work towards a science workforce that reflects the diversity of society. Please read the report below as it provides the key findings of the 2017 Diversity and Inclusion Progression Framework benchmarking exercise for scientific bodies.
Please click here for the report.
Diversity and Inclusion Progression Framework
The Diversity and Inclusion Progression Framework is a tool for professional bodies to assess and monitor their progress on diversity and inclusion. Developed in collaboration with the Royal Academy of Engineering, this is a key element of the support available for Science Council member organisations, as they seek to embed diversity in their strategies and planning.
Declaration on Diversity
All of our member organisations have signed the Declaration on Diversity, Equality and Inclusion, which commits them to promoting diversity and to help the Science Council achieve its strategic aim of a more diverse science workforce. All new member organisations are now expected to sign the declaration as part of their application for membership.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion Strategy Group
The Strategy Group provides a point of contact for other organisations on issues of diversity in the science workforce. Members of the Group are individuals with a commitment to diversity and relevant experience. Specifically the Group ensures that the Science Council’s work complements that of the Royal Society and Royal Academy of Engineering who have been funded by Government to address diversity issues within their respective workforces.
The Strategy Group members are:
- James Smith (Chair) Chair, Carbon Trust; formerly Chairman, Shell UK
- Neil Bentley Chief Executive, Find a Future;
- Jennifer Dyer Head of Diversity, Institute of Physics;
- Bola Fatimilehin Manager of Diversity, Royal Academy of Engineering;
- Nike Folayan Chair, Association for Black Engineers UK;
- Sandra Kerr National Director: Race for Opportunity, Business in the Community;
- Edmund Nickless; Science Council Trustee;
- Daniel Payne post-graduate student, University College London;
- Joanne Stuart Northern Ireland STEM Champion; Director, Attus Ltd;
- Caroline Waters Deputy Chair, Equality and Human Rights Commission;
- Polly Williams Diversity Programme Manager, Royal Society.
To become involved or stay up to date with this project please get in touch.